Sunday, October 15, 2017

Blade Runner 2049 Review

Blade Runner 2049 is a worthy sequel to the first film, however, I do not think it is the masterpiece everyone is claiming.  Director Denis Villeneuve does a perfect job recreating the world from the original film and directs this movie beautifully.  However, there are quite a few scenes that are dragged out much longer than necessary.  I cannot speak to the plot of this movie as it is impossible to describe without spoilers.  Ryan Goslling is great as Agent K and he brought multiple layers to his role.  Harrison Ford is still great reprising his role as Deckard from the original film.  While his role is not huge he is always a welcome presence.  Ana De Armas steals the entire movie for me.  I could not take my eyes off the screen anytime she was on screen.  Sylvia Hoeks is a good villain but I wish there was more to her character.  However, I hated Jared Letto in this movie, while he is only in two scenes I was taken out of the movie every time he was on screen.  The real standout here is Cinematographer Rodger Deakins who should finally win an Oscar for this film as its one of the most beautiful looking movies I have seen all year.  However, it is crucial that your theater projects the movie correctly.   I have seen this movie three times now and the first two times it was projected wrong making it impossible to see during some sequences and it really killed my enjoyment of movie first two times.  At 2 hours and 43 minutes the movie moves at a surprisingly fast pace, however, some scenes go on for way too long and hurt the pacing of the film.  Overall Blade Runner 2049 is a great movie and a great sequel but it is crucial that you see this movie projected correctly, otherwise you will not be able to enjoy it.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment