Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Battle of the Sexes Review

Battle of the Sexes is a well-made, compelling film telling the true story of the 1973 tennis match between World number one Billie Jean King and ex-champ and serial hustler Bobby Riggs.  Emma Stone is mostly great here and Steve Carell gives his best performance, stealing the entire film.  Sara Silverman who I’m not normally a fan of I found really entertaining here.  However, Andrea Riseborough whose work I’ve enjoyed in the past is straight up awful in this movie.  She plays the lover of Stone’s character and their relationship 100% falls flat.  I understand their relationship is a critical part of Stone’s story but it was so poorly written and acted during those scenes it kept taking me out of the movie.  The best aspect of this movie is by far the set and costume design.  It accurately displayed the 70’s more than any movie I’ve seen in a long time.  Another positive is this movie was much funnier than I ever would’ve expected with several moments that had me laughing quite hard.  Overall Battle of the Sexes is a really good movie that could’ve been great but is held back due to the poorly written relationship between Stone and Riseborough’s characters.

7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment