Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Serenity Review

Serenity is an extremely unique movie, that while it does not quite work, I am very glad it exists. This movie is about a fishing boat captain who must juggle his mysterious past when his Ex shows up with a strange request. Matthew McConaughey gives a  great performance. He is playing a typical role for him and he has to act confused, but he does it well. Anne Hathaway gives a really good performance. Her character is very mysterious and keeps you wondering. Jason Clarke's performance is not very good, but he is so committed to it that you cannot help but admire it. Djimon Hounsou and Diane Lane both give fine performances in supporting roles. Steven Knight did a great job directing but an odd job writing. His direction is good and the movie is definitely beautiful to look at. I am still unsure whether or not I like the script. However, to its credit, I have never seen anything like it and I was never bored. At 116 minutes the movie moves at a good pace revealing new information at the right place to keep you invested. While I will not get into specifics, I will warn this is not a typical drama, so unless you are open to weird movies I would stay away from this one. Overall, Serenity was not quite a good movie, but I admire its uniqueness and dedication to the crazy ride this movie becomes.
5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment