Monday, August 19, 2019

ECCO Review

ECCO is overly convoluted and overly long and yet I couldn't take my eyes off it. This movie is about a former covert assassin who goes hunting after the people responsible for the sins of his past. Lathrop Walker gives a great performance. His character doesn't always talk that much but you become emotionally invested in his quest. Helena Grace Donald and Mahria Zook do fine in their supporting roles, but the movie makes them look so similar it's hard to tell them apart. Michael Winters gives a good performance in his small supporting role. Ben Medina did a great job directing. This movie is extremely visually captivating and the action scenes are very unique. The script is the biggest issue here. While it kept me invested throughout with some genuine surprises, it is so overly convoluted in the first half that I struggled to keep up with the timeline. The fantastic cinematography and score kept me invested even when the plot was losing me. At 123 minutes the runtime is way too long, especially in the first half. Many scenes go by with little to nothing having happened. Overall, ECCO is a complete mess but nevertheless an interesting one that held my attention throughout.
5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment