Thursday, November 23, 2017

Coco Review

Coco is a good movie with a horrible message for kids. This movie is about a young boy, Miguel, who wants to be a musician against his parent's wishes. Through a series of events, he finds himself in the land of the dead and must find his way home. As usual for Pixar, everyone in the voice cast gave a great performance. Special mention goes to Anthony Gonzalez as Miguel. Especially for a child actor, he did a fantastic job. I really loved his relationship with a stray dog named Dante. The animation is top notch and stunning. However, I never found myself getting invested in this story as I wanted. This is mainly due to the movie’s awful message that I cannot say due to spoilers. However, especially for me, it really hurt my enjoyment. Also, this movie is shockingly light on humor. The jokes were few and far between. For an animated movie targeted at kids, I cannot recommend this to young kids due to the movie’s surprisingly dark tone and awful message. At 109 minutes there is also a surprising amount of pacing issues. Despite all of this, due to some standout sequences and beautiful animation, I still enjoyed Coco. Overall, I do recommend Coco with the warning that this is not an all-ages movie.


As for the Frozen short that played in front of the movie, other than a few decent jokes, it was really bad and way too long.

Frozen Short 4/10
Coco 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment