Saturday, August 19, 2017

Atomic Blonde Review

Atomic Blonde really surprised me.  I was interested in this movie due to it being from David Letich the director of John Wick which I think is one of best action movies ever. Despite mediocre trailers, I went into movie optimistic. Well, this movie grabbed me from the opening scene and held my interest through its entire running time.  Charlize Theron is great as our lead Loraine but to me, this movie belonged to James McAvoy as Percival stole the entire film and gave one of his best performances to date. Sofia Boutella continues to impress but isn't given much to do.  As expected from this director the action sequences are fantastically shot and thrilling to watch.  The standout action sequence is a continuous one-shot action scene that lasts for 10 minutes.  I really enjoyed the soundtrack most of the time although it occasionally felt out of place. One of the best things about this movie is the costume design it all looks great and felt perfect for the time period.  However, this movie does have a few storytelling flaws.  There is a lesbian side plot that felt really forced into the story and could've been easily taken out.  Also, there is a small gap between second and third act where the movie stumbles as it's not sure where to go with the plot.  Despite that though Atomic Blonde was a great addition to the Spy genre and a movie I'll watch again and again.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment